The Lounge chair and Ottoman was designed by an inimitable Charles and Ray Eames and was released in 1956. The furniture has their origins in Eameses exploration of molding plywood, the prototypes of chair that were created 10 years earlier in 1946 by Eames Office. Similar to well-worn leather baseman’s mitt with the consideration of a modern version of Victoria club chair, this lounge chair is the real symbol of luxurious comfort and modern American design. When they are set together, Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman is so identifiable registered trademark.
The 60-year-old Classic Chair
Since its arrival in 1956, the timeless Eames Lounge and Chair was continuously produced by Herman Miller (later by Vitra). It (Eames Lounge Chair 670 and Ottoman 671) celebrated its 60th birthday in 2016. Having the unchanging design, the owner of the older design 670/671 editions (Herman Miller’s part number of chair and ottoman) can get replacement part. Crafted with conscientious attention and care, this lounge chair is manufactured of seven-ply veneer shells, a built-in swivel mechanism and individually upholstered cushions.
The Lounge Chair that’s good For You
Ray Eames and Charles made this special design of the lounge chair with a permanent tilt to support the low back and spine of the sitter and resting one’s feet on the ottoman helps to get normal blood circulation. The Eameses strongly believed in the need of comfort and respite, in refuge and also warm welcome. The lounge chair and Ottoman they created provide each of elements with aplomb.
The Lowdown of Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman
- The Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman is the everlasting collections of twenty major museums and more (including London’s V&A, New York’s MoMA and the Art Institute of Chicago).
- The base of the chair and ottoman was originally designed by The Eames Office as a base for a contract table.
- During the first 10-year production, Herman Miller created the Lounge Chair and Ottoman with fabric, leather or naugahyde (the material like artificial leather). However, Ray and Charles recommended strongly about the use of “best aucht” leather sourced from Scotland. While here, the local farmers there refrained from the use of barbed wire with their cattle and that is why the leather was unmarked.
- The cushions used in the Lounge Chair and Ottoman are symmetrical as well as interchangeable.
- The Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman got an award of first prize in 1957 La Triennale di Milano.
- The only two companies that produced the authentic Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman are Herman Miller and Vitra.
- Cooperated with the Eames Office, Vitra had developed the Lounge Chair and Ottoman new larger version, to suit taller people.
- The buttocks of many notable people have graced this great Lounge Chair and Ottoman, for example: Jim Henson (the creator of The Muppets), Muhammad Ali, Steve Jobs, Frank Sinatra and also Bill Gates.
Since the great people have tried rested on this aesthetic Lounge Chair and Ottoman, it can be real excellent idea to have one to decorate your house.